- whim: a sudden wish, desire, decision, etc.一时的兴致；突然的念头；突然的决定 [拟声词，风呼啸而吹的声音。引申义忽然而来的，忽然而去的，古怪的]
the whims of fashion一时兴起的时尚潮流
- a playful or amusing quality: a sense of humor or playfulness离奇古怪；异想天开；古怪可笑
- Why my mom has this whimsy idea that I will be married before 30.
- 固执的(ten+acious多…的→拿住不放→固执的)[tain,ten,tin=hold,表示"拿住"] -> 十个手指都拿住不放了
- very determined to do something坚定的；顽强的；顽固的
- He is a tenacious president who insists on revising the constitution to satisfies his willings.
showing that you disapprove of or do not like someone or something : showing disrespect or scorn for someone or something轻蔑的；冷嘲的；讥讽的
Sheldon Lee Cooper has a sense of sardonic humor.
- →dis-, 不，非，使相反。avow, 承认。
- to say that you are not responsible for (something) : to deny that you know about or are involved in (something)不承认；拒绝对…承担责任；否认…与自己有关
- I deny, disaffirm and disavow that.
Google disavowed bad links, however, Baidu don't want to be that.
- completed 完整的，depleted 耗尽的
- to use most or all of (something important) : to greatly reduce the amount of (something)耗尽；大大减少
- My parents depleted their life savings when I bought a new apartment for the marriage.